SECTION I — A Match in the Darkness
I was new to the Army, out on my first bivouac, when I woke at 3 a.m. for guard duty. The night was pitch black. No moon. No stars. No horizon. I had seen my post in daylight, but in total darkness everything changes. You lose your bearings. You can’t see landmarks, obstacles, the path beneath your feet, or even your own hand in front of your face.
I stumbled through the woods, feeling more than walking, trying to remember the way. I reached a clearing, but it was still too dark to make sense of anything. Then, suddenly, I saw it: a tiny flame. Someone had struck a match.
I moved quietly toward the light, just as we’d been trained. A voice called my name. It was my Drill Sergeant!!!
“Drill Sergeant,” I whispered, “it’s so dark out here I can’t find the post I’m supposed to be at.”
He nodded. “I know. You walked past it twice. But you did good, considering. The guys you were supposed to relieve are still wandering out in the woods, and now I have to go find them.”
That small flame didn’t light up the whole forest. But it gave me enough Light to understand where I was, and where I needed to be.
SECTION II — What Light Really Means
When Masons speak of Light, we are not talking about brightness or candles or anything that can be measured in lumens. We are talking about something far more practical and far more human.
Physical light enables the eye to see. Knowledge enables the mind to understand.
In the darkness of that bivouac, the path to my post existed. The clearing existed. The men I was supposed to relieve existed. I had walked the route in daylight. I knew where it was supposed to be.
But without Light, knowledge wasn’t enough.
That is exactly what Masonic Light represents.
Light is the moment when what is already true becomes visible. It is the moment when confusion gives way to clarity. It is the moment when the path that was always been there finally comes into view.
Light does not change the world around us. It changes our ability to navigate it.
When a candidate asks for Light, he is asking for orientation. He is asking for the ability to see the world, and himself, with greater clarity.
*As light opens the eye to the world,
So knowledge opens the mind to meaning. Without light, the eye waits in darkness, whole, yet unable to see. Without knowledge, the mind moves through life aware, yet uncertain of what it perceives. Knowledge does not force understanding; it reveals what is already present. It gives shape to thought, clarity to experience, and direction to wondering. Where ignorance is shadow, knowledge is the quiet light by which the mind learns to see.*
SECTION III — Why We Ask for Light
When a man knocks at the door of Masonry and asks for Light, he is not asking for something dramatic or mystical. He is asking for the same thing I needed in those woods at 3 a.m. He is asking for the ability to see what is already there.
He is asking for orientation.
We all walk through moments that feel like that bivouac night. We know there is a path. We know there is a purpose. We know there is a place we are supposed to be. But without Light, we move through the world guessing, stumbling, and hoping we are headed in the right direction.
A man asks for Light because he wants clarity, truth, understanding, and direction. He wants to stop wandering in circles. He wants to see himself honestly. He wants to live with purpose instead of accident.
Light brings understanding. Understanding brings responsibility. Responsibility brings growth.
This is why every Mason begins his journey by asking for Light.
SECTION IV — The Light We Avoid
For all our talk about seeking Light, the truth is that sometimes we avoid it. Not because we prefer ignorance, but because Light asks something of us. It reveals things we would rather not see.
In the darkness, I could tell myself I was close. I could tell myself I was headed in the right direction. But the moment that match was struck, the truth became clear. I had walked past my post twice.
Light removes our excuses.
We avoid Light when we don’t want to face our rough edges, admit we’ve been walking in circles, or confront the gap between who we are and who we want to be.
Darkness can feel comfortable. Light takes that comfort away.
But avoiding Light doesn’t keep us safe. It keeps us stuck.
The moment we allow even a small flame into our lives, the path becomes visible again. Not perfect. Not complete. But visible. And that is enough to take the next step.
SECTION V — The Light Arrives Slowly
We imagine Light as something sudden, a flash of brilliance. But in real life, Light arrives the way dawn arrives: slowly, gently, almost shy at first.
Before sunrise, the landscape is still there: the hills, the trees, the path. But none of it is visible. Then a faint glow appears on the horizon. It doesn’t reveal everything. It simply gives you enough Light to understand where you are.
As the sun climbs, inch by inch, the world becomes clearer. Not all at once. But gradually, in a rhythm that feels like mercy.
That is how Light arrives in our lives.
It comes in small moments:
a lesson that finally sinks in
a truth we are ready to face
a habit we realize we must change
a conversation that opens our eyes
Light doesn’t overwhelm us. It prepares us.
We are shaped by the Light we receive over time, not by a single moment of brilliance. Each small illumination builds on the last, until one day we realize we can see more clearly than we ever have before.
The path didn’t change. We changed.
SECTION VI — The Light We Share
Light is never meant to be kept to ourselves. The moment we receive even a small measure of clarity or understanding, we carry a responsibility to pass it on.
Just as a single match helped me find my way, a small act of Light from one person can help another find theirs.
We share Light when we offer patience, kindness, honesty, forgiveness, or a steady example. These are not heroic acts. They are human acts. And they matter.
Sharing Light doesn’t diminish it. It multiplies it.
We don’t need to illuminate the whole forest. We just need to offer enough Light for someone to take their next step.
SECTION VII — The Light That Guides Us Forward
Light doesn’t just reveal where we are. It shows us where to go next. Not the whole path, just the next step.
When the sun rises, it reveals the world in stages. First the horizon, then the fields, then the details. With each passing minute, the landscape becomes clearer.
That is how Light guides us.
It gives us enough clarity to move with purpose, enough understanding to make the next right decision, enough courage to take the next step.
And the more we walk in the Light we have, the more Light we receive.
Understanding grows with action. Wisdom grows with experience. Clarity grows with commitment.
We don’t need to see the entire forest. We just need to see the next few steps.
The Lights That Shape Our Steps
In Masonry, the Light that guides us forward is supported by the Three Great Lights: the Bible, the Square, and the Compass. They are not decorations. They are reminders of how a man is meant to walk once the path becomes visible.
The Holy Bible (or Volume of Sacred Law) represents the Light of truth, the moral foundation that keeps our steps grounded.
The Square represents the Light of right action, the call to deal honestly, fairly, and uprightly with all people.
The Compass represents the Light of self‑mastery, the boundaries that keep our passions within due limits and our lives in balance.
Together, they remind us that Light is not just something we receive. It is something we live.
SECTION VIII — The Closing Charge: Walk Toward the Light You Seek
Light is not something we receive once. It is something we walk toward, day by day. Every one of us will face moments when the path disappears, when memory isn’t enough, when we feel disoriented or unsure.
In those moments, we have a choice.
We can stand still in the darkness. Or we can move toward the smallest Light we can find.
A match in the woods. A sunrise on the horizon. A word of encouragement. A truth we are ready to face.
Light doesn’t demand perfection. It asks for willingness.
Willingness to see ourselves honestly. Willingness to grow. Willingness to change direction when needed. Willingness to share what we have learned.
And the more faithfully we walk toward the Light, the more Light we receive.
So walk toward the Light you seek. Walk with humility. Walk with purpose. Walk with the quiet confidence that every step taken in Light is a step toward the man you are becoming.
And when you find even a small measure of Light, share it. Someone else is out there in the dark, searching for their way, just as you once were.
This meditation continues in my piece Across the Checkered Pavement, where I explore the contrasts of light and darkness.


No comments:
Post a Comment