Sunday, April 2, 2023

I Am a Mason in Motion

 


Today, I took part in supporting one of our Masonic charities and became a little better and healthier man for it.

Today I participated in the 13th Annual Goldies Run at the University of Minnesota. This is an annual fund raiser to support the pediatric patients with heart disease at Masonic Children’s Hospital.

Goldy’s run is one of the first early Spring running events in the area, so it’s a great way to get out of the house after a long winter’s hibernation, for a shakeout run to get you in the right mindset for the running season.

Mother nature played an April Fools joke on us by dumping 8 inches of snow two days before the race, making running conditions icy, slippery, not exactly ideal…but hey this is Minnesota!

The 5K course took us thru the campus while the 10K course went thru the campus and along the Mississippi River. For anyone who had attended the University of MN, we saw all the hallowed landmarks of the U that brought back many memories. The finish line was on the 50-yard line of Huntington Bank Stadium.



Standing with 7000 registered runners at the starting line, I had a lot of emotions running thru my head.  I was anxious, excited all while hoping the last ten months of hard work, would pay off for me.



My journey to the starting line started ten months ago when I stepped out of the shower and looked in the mirror. That prompted me to get on the dreaded bathroom scale.

Being mildly shocked by the number displayed, I knew I had to do something if I wanted to maintain my health. I believe at that moment, I directly applied one of the Masonic teachings we learn to arrive with a solution.

I have always believed that Freemasonry takes good men, and makes them better by teaching them valuable lessons, so the individual can directly apply those lessons to their lives. In essence, self-help, but with more.

The tool I applied to myself, was introspection or self-examination. Then I determined my needs and methods to achieve results.

I started by visiting my doctor and consulting with her. My proposed solution was to move more and eat less. Follow a sensible diet called “My Plate” and exercise. My plan met with her full endorsement, although to be honest, I think she was skeptical.

My journey took ten months, and I lost 90 pounds. To exercise, I started riding my bicycle, then I started walking and running.  Today I ran my first 5K run with 7,000 others, who I imagine are all on their own journeys. .

Running for a guy receiving Social Security benefits isn’t easy, and I can see that there is room for improvement, but I finished in the top 2500 runners, is nothing to sneeze at either.



In case you are wondering. I finished 29 in my age group and yes, I was passed by four students who were members of the marching band and carrying tubas. But I finished and thus the journey continues.



I am now a Mason in Motion and, I hope, in a way, an inspiration or example for any other Masons.  The journey begins with that first thought and then that first step.  





No comments: