Thursday, December 22, 2022

Rex R. Hutchins




I am sad to report that our Craft has lost one of our great Masonic author, educator, speaker and luminary.

Rex R. Hutchens, Past Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Arizona 2006-2007, passed away recently.  Rex was a 33rd degree Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite Southeran Judication, the author of four books: Bridge to Light, A Glossary to Morals and Dogma, Pillars of Wisdom-the writings of Albert Pike, and The Bible in Albert Pikes Morals and Dogma. 

Rex was the 2012 recipient of the Grand Lodge of Minnesota, Duane E. Anderson Award for Excellence in Masonic Education.


 Well Worn Books from My Bookshelf

I first became aware of Rex's work decades ago when I first joined the Scottish Rite. I was reading and studying "A Bridge to Light" every week as I went thru the degrees. As I began to study "Morals and Dogma" his "A Glossary to Morals and Dogma" was a companion to my learning. 

I first met Rex at an event in Washington DC in 2000 while attending a Masonic gathering, He was surrounded by and talking with so many people. That time we only had the opportunity to shake hands, and I thanked him for his books which had been a huge help to me. 


As Grand Master of Minnesota in 2011-2012, I had the distinct pleasure to award one person the Duane E. Anderson Award for Excellence in Masonic Education. The recipient received an all-expense paid trip to attend our annual communication in 2012. He was then invited to speak, usually twice, to share his extensive knowledge.  The gold medallion shown above, comes with a generous cash award to assist and encourage the recipient's Masonic scholarship. 

On the afternoon of April 12, 2012, I was informed that Rex had arrived at the Minneapolis Airport and had been transported to the hotel. Later in the day I received a message that Rex had a terrible cold and needed some time to rest. 

On April 13, 2012, at 7:00 pm, at the annual banquet, I presented Rex with the award. After the banquet Rex invited me to his room for a drink and conversation. I was pretty excited, needless to say, to have that opportunity to discuss Masonic education with him. 

I had heard that Rex was a very down to earth guy, who spoke frankly and straight forward. Something I appreciate in anyone. 

The conversation started with Rex saying that " I suppose you want to talk about "A bridge to Light"? I quickly replied, "Oh, that old thing" at which Rex broke out in laughter. I said that I wanted to discuss Rex and his scholarly thinking. Long story short here, Rex said it is a habit you train your mind for.  that advice has helped me greatly over the years. 

We also discussed share interests such as books, libraries, motorcycles, and corvettes. The hour was getting late, and we both needed to get up early, so we said our goodbyes. 

After our meeting, we talked on the phone from time to time. I followed, with great interest, his work on building the library and the Egyptian Room at the Tuson Scottish Rite. 

It is sad that Rex is no longer with us to share his wit and wisdom. I am so enriched with having known him and being able to spend time with him. He will be missed by all. 






No comments: